Obviously, everyone has their own tastes and what works for them. I love shopping at Zulily, and besides seeing when they have great deals on things I like, I’ve been able to really see what styles and trends that I am totally fine with just letting roll on by. Maybe you like or can pull off these trends. I cringe and raise an eyebrow when I see these trends, so I know they are definitely not for me! But… thinking I should try to expand my fashion horizons, I’ve decided to also post a version of the trend that I would be more willing to embrace or try. So, without further discussion, here are 5 Trends to Skip when shopping this Fall:
1. The harem pant. I’m honestly not sure who likes these pants… or who looks good in them for that matter… all I can think of when I see these are 1) dressing up like a baby with a sagging diaper, or 2) you actually want to make your hip/butt/gut appear larger. Neither of those options are very appealing to me, so I’ll stay far far away from this trend!
A better option: Oh, this is hard for me to even imagine, lol…. but at least this option is less saggy diaper looking
2. Tribal print. It’s just not my thing. I’ve seen many fashion bloggers who look great in tribal print.
A better option: A bit more blended
3. Leopard print. Again, many people can pull off the leopard print trend with flying colors. I look like I’m trying to get into character for The Jungle Book or something.
A better option: Think accessories or small details
4. Skinny jean. I know this is a huge trend, and it is a fine trend…on the right body shapes. I’ve heard it said that “everyone can wear skinny jeans”. No, I beg to differ. Yes, everyone *can*, but not everyone will look good in them. And I’m not saying you have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans (hate that idea), but someone’s basic body shape does come into play. For instance, I am on the short side with a pear-shaped bottom-heavy body type. Maybe as I continue to lose more weight and shape up my body, I perhaps will find out I’ve changed my mind, but I’m not seeing it changing anytime soon. Skinny jeans taper in at the ankle, therefore, they will draw attention to your thighs/hips. I think if you are taller and still pear shaped, *maybe* you’ll find you can make this work with the right top and shoes/boots.
A better option:
5. Oversized. It seems this is a big trend too – super loose, slouchy, dropped sleeves. Again, on some body frames, this may work. On my narrower upper body and shorter height, oversized can very quickly go from super comfy to super unflattering. Many people think going bigger will best mask their extra weight, but in doing so, they actually often add pounds. Obviously, I’m not saying buy skin-tight clothing, but there should be a balance of fitted vs. too loose.
A better option: Something that drapes and has just a bit of structure without being overwhelming
5a. (Perhaps this could be its own point, but I didn’t want to mess up the “5 Trends” theme and couldn’t think of 5 more to make it 10, so just go with it) Palazzo Pant. Okay, these look extremely extremely comfortable! I am allllll about comfy clothing! The softer something feels, the better! So, I would wear these around the house or for pajamas. But I just feel these would completely overwhelm, add 20 pounds, and just be so unflattering. Like every other trend up here, many people I’m sure will look amazing in them. I just feel if you already have larger thighs, these may make your thighs look like they take up the whole of the pants even though they don’t.
A better option: Look for one that is slightly less full through the thigh
Of course, all of this is just in fun and even a little bit silly. You find what works for you, what you like, and go for it!