I have alluded to this in posts, but wanted to do a little update about my diet (i.e. eating habits, not a set-in-stone or counting or depriving myself way of life). I told you all I was having some internal struggles with the way I was eating, not because I don’t think it was healthy, but because I wasn’t effectively able to stick to what I told myself I could or could not have. I still believe a plant-based diet full of leafy green vegetables is extremely healthy and I am still incorporating that in the way I eat. I just know for me, it was the right time to broaden my palate and let go of some very rigid rules that in my head made me a better person. I believe the grace of God extends to our food choices as well. So while I still have some internal hang-ups every once in a while, I am so so so much happier right now with my choices, and it really is starting to feel natural.
So I started Trim Healthy Mama the end of January and now it’s May. I’ve lost some pounds, my clothing is starting to fit a little better, and I’m happy. Some things I personally want to work on a little more? Incorporating more greens and veggies – because you can never have too many of those! 🙂
So if you’re considering this approach, what should you know?
- The book is M A S S I V E! At over 600 pages, I’m not even slightly kidding. To be completely honest, there are some chapters I haven’t even read yet, and I’m constantly finding new recipes, even though I’ve read through them all at least once. You will most likely carry it with you everywhere for a while. However, it is written in an extremely readable, relatable manner, so it really does go by supper fast. Pearl and Serene are so down to earth that you just wish you could sip some coffee (or Good Girl Moonshine) with them and chit chat away!
- That at first, you may be overwhelmed.
- You will be seeing a lot of capital letters – with an E here and an S over there, here an FP, there an lightS, everywhere a FC. 🙂 Don’t let them scare you at all – I found it pretty fun actually to fit food together to make my meals – kind of like a puzzle (an easy, doable one, not the kind you set up and have to take breaks from). The general gist is that E stands for Energizing. What macronutrient gives energy? Carbs. So E meals have (good sources) of carbs, like sweet potatoes, quinoa, beans,…). S stands for Satisfying. What macronutrient really gives that satiated feeling? Fats. So S meals have healthy fats, like coconut oil, butter, and yummy creamy sauces. So the kicker is that when you have your E (carb) meals, you don’t want to mix it with fats. And when you have your S meals, you don’t want to fix it with carbs. So it may all sound confusing, but it’s really not.
- You will not be counting calories. You will not even be counting serving sizes. Hardly any of the recipes really say how much a serving is, but I think the body kind of knows and I haven’t had any problem with that. One of my favorite snacks or meals is the Fat-Stripping Frappe, and sometimes it’s just too much for me to drink! So you definitely don’t deprive yourself.
- That you may have just discovered a whole slew of new-to-you foods. I thought I was quite versed on food products, but a completely new-to-me product was gluccomannon. There are a few products that you really *will want* to have at your disposal, but nothing special is actually *required* to make this approach work for you.
- Swanson and Vitacost just may become bookmarked sites! That is where I get most of my “specialty items” because their prices are good and they often also have coupons floating around to help (Swanson just recently had a code for 20% off Swanson brand items plus 1 penny shipping, so I took advantage of that to restock a few items that I love – like their big tub of coconut oil). *These are my affiliate/referral links. If you click on them, you save some money on your first purchase, and I get a coupon to save on my next purchase*
I really have never felt this free about food for a long time, and I must say, it feels wonderful! I’m not even sure how I got to the point where I was, it was so gradual, but I am thankful for God’s grace and forgiveness and that His mercy is new every morning!
Guess what? I was sent the Trim Healthy Mama book to facilitate this review, and I’ve got an extra copy to send to one of you!!! I was going to open this only to US, but I’ve decided if you don’t mind covering the shipping, I’ll open it up to all others too (so US it will be completely free, all else to cover shipping).
How to enter? This one is going to be easy-peasy 1 way to enter:
Leave me a comment letting me know *why* you want to win the book. That’s it. I’ll draw a winner next Friday, the 16th. *following my blog is not required, but you might as well so you see if you win! The links to my FB, Twitter, BlogLovin’, and more are at the top.